Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Change font-style when user starts typing

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    chrisburton
    Participant

Is it possible to change from italic to normal when a user is typing in an input?

For example, my placeholder text is “Search…” but I would prefer that once the user starts typing, the font-style switches to normal.

Possible with CSS?

chrisburton
    Participant

@srig99 Yeah, that’s what I was doing too. I prefer when there is text inside the input from the user. If it’s not possible with CSS, I’d rather not do it.

chrisburton
    Participant

@CrocoDillon Oh, wow. I’m already using those in my stylesheet but I didn’t even think about targeting it specifically. Thank you!

yoyo
    Participant

@srig99 is right, :focus is the way

chrisburton
    Participant

@yoyo Unfortunately not. You have to read the functionality I was looking for. “When the user starts typing”, not on focus.

howlermiller
    Participant

As far as styling the placeholder goes, if you use all of the different prefixes then browser compatibility is pretty good: CanIUse

Here’s an article on the *four* different prefixes: https://css-tricks.com/snippets/css/style-placeholder-text/

I like that idea, Chris. I’d like to see it used in a real site.

chrisburton
    Participant

> I like that idea, Chris. I’d like to see it used in a real site.

@howlermiller
    This is what I’m doing (use Firefox to play, Chrome is giving me a bug).
    http://f.cl.ly/items/0N0h0Z141z340y131G0d/search-font-styles.mp4

howlermiller
    Participant

@CrocoDillon Oh, you’re right. That’s my bad. Here’s the link I should have posted: Styling the HTML5 placeholder. That article has a nice little graph showing exactly what you can use where. Looks like `font-style` doesn’t work in Opera, Safari 3.1, or IE<10. But breakage wouldn't be a huge deal here, either.

And actually, I don’t think the single colon does work in FF19+. I just tested it in 21, and it certainly doesn’t work here, but the double colon does. Weirdness.

@chrisburton
    Wow. That’s really nice. I like that a lot. Great work!

chrisburton
    Participant

I’m using both single and double colons to be safe along with an -ms- prefix. As stated aobe, I agree, I’m not too worried about it breaking.

Andy Howells
    Participant

I assume you don’t want to use JavaScript to solve this? Could do an on change event using JS.

chrisburton
    Participant

@AndyHowells Correct. At this point I’m not looking to add any further functionality via jQuery or Javascript. I want to keep the site as fast as possible with little lagging as possible.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.