Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Can we try a Crowdsourcing web design project on CSS-Tricks?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 124 total)
  • Author
    noahgelman
    Participant

I think it would be a nice experiment. Where one person, can just start designing a layout, pass it off to someone else, they add more, pass it off, then add more, etc. It would be interesting to see where the design would go if there was no initial group decision of what the end product should look like, or the purpose of the site designed.

So this isn’t technically crowdsourcing, it’s more like the game telephone, but still interesting none the less.

Chris Coyier
    Keymaster

Pretty cool idea.

rickylamerz

Sounds awesome!

What you need to do is organize it. Start a post with all details and rules and let people sign up. Make a list of people joining and make a start date. On the start date each person in the correct order gets 1 day to work on the .PSD. When the day has ended upload it, post the link in the forum post. Do that for each entry and you get the result.

I’d join it :)

Greetings, Rick

TheDoc

A very interesting idea! I’m sure we can figure out something cool to do, just gotta be organized!

Chris Coyier
    Keymaster

I really like this idea too. I agree that some organization is probably necessary to make sure it doesn’t get chaotic. I think we should decide on general goal for the design (e.g. A website for a radio station) but be pretty open ended other than that.

Rob MacKay
    Participant

Sounds like fun! :)

noahgelman
    Participant

I think it should be organized through CSS-Tricks.com. If I or someone else does, there’s a lot of email sharing and such.

Chris Coyier
    Keymaster

I think we should limit it to like 10 people tops. Even that might be too many cooks in the kitchen, but we’ll see what happens!

Next 9 people to reply on this thread that want in, are in. Then we’ll randomize the order and kick it off. Maybe we’ll lay down some ground rules before we start. Here’s some things off the top of my head:

– Try and work off what has already been done. Tweak, re-arrange, tighten up, add stuff, whatever. If you need to delete something, so be it, but don’t totally scrap it and start over.
    – One day per person, tops
    – When they are done, we’ll post to the specified thread with a live link to the PSD. Use cloudapp or dropbox or your own website or something.

noahgelman
    Participant

I definitely want in.

Chris Coyier
    Keymaster

I want in

Roxon

I would be interested in doing some PSD to HTML stuff, no design in Photoshop. ;P

Chris Coyier
    Keymaster

let’s stick to Photoshop for this round and then maybe follow up later with HTML. I feel like that’s kinda of less interesting as far as “telephone” style fun goes.

Chris Coyier
    Keymaster

Question, can we make it so CSS3 and HTML5 will be required, no XHTML or older CSS versions?

PeretzM

I would love to give it a try, though i must admit, I’m not on the same level as some of you guys….

Also, maybe if we are really going to do this till the end, let’s make it something useful, like a website for a charitable organization… After all, ‘Tis the season…

andrewsellenrick
    Participant

I’m in…let me know when it’s my turn!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 124 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.