Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Back End Building a backend

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Jtwa11
    Participant

I am totally confused on what to do. I’ve written code for a website:
    http://rcjaneproperties.com/

The site deals with rentals. If there is an apartment available for rent, I manually go into the code and edit all the fields on this page to match the apartment details and pictures;

http://rcjaneproperties.com/available/available.php

However, this is very time consuming and I am the only one in the company that works on the website.

I need to build a database that allows anyone to go in and show or hide anything that is availabl. What should I do? Can I transfer all my code to wordpress? I just need some help and direction.

Alen
    Participant

You need a Content Management System. Something like WordPress.

With WordPress what you are looking for can be achieved using Custom Post Type and Advanced Custom Fields.

Your Admin panel would look like this:

Bigger Image

Adding new apartment
    Bigger Image

All apartments

Bigger Image

Do you have any experience with WordPress?

Senff
    Participant
    chrisburton
    Participant

I need to build a database that allows anyone to go in and show or hide anything that is availabl. – @Jtwa11

What do you mean by anyone? That’s important. Essentially you could have a user system in which only approved people could edit what is available/unavailable, edit content, etc. I mean, you wouldn’t want just anyone being able to edit things.

Personally, I think WP would be a bit much for such a simple website. It’s not a CMS that I believe should be applied to everything, especially small and basic websites. I assume you know your way around PHP? What other languages/frameworks do you know or are more comfortable with? This will help with giving you options as far as content management systems.

Converting a static site over to WordPress if you’ve never dealt with WP before won’t be a simple task. It might even be overkill for what you need. – @TheDoc

+1

Have you used Liquid before? Thoughts? The code seems as if the logic would take a considerable amount of time getting used to.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Back End’ is closed to new topics and replies.