Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Browser Facts – New Website about the different browsers available – Feedback wanted

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    TheDoc

It’d be cool if everyone could ease off the accelerator here. It’s easy to sit back and point fingers, but this site is about constructive criticism not attacks.

@TheDoc Thanks for being one of the first to understand why I put this up here :)

seeingsound

@michaeloneill

Did you just copy-past some text without reading it and checking it? Here is what you should to: Check all the info that you have added there (Wikipedia isn’t always right or up to date). Install all those browsers and use them to find out what are the strengths and weaknesses.

You should find the mistakes, not we :)

mixxmac

@michaeloneill – Not bad for something you put together yesterday when you were bored.

RE: “Whats wrong with Inline styling ? :S”…
    It’s really important not to use inline styles in your markup. It defeats the purpose of CSS, and should be avoided at all costs. By using inline styles you are hardcoding styles in your HTML and overriding styles that should be placed in external stylesheets. If you wanted to change the appearance of your website you would have to edit the inline styles on every page on your site, instead of editing the styles for all pages from an external style sheet. You should use ids and classes and target them from a stylesheet.

http://csszengarden.com/ is probably the best example of how you can completely change the appearance of a website by changing just the styles in an external stylesheet, when you use clean markup and no inline styles. Check it out.

ccc630

If there was a “Like” button on here I’d Like @thedoc’s comment. Also, @michaeloneill, if you’re interested in helping educate site visitors about IE6, take a look at this. It’s Microsoft’s site dedicated to educating people about upgrading from IE6. According to their stats, usage worldwide is at about 12%, although China is still over 1/3 IE6. Won’t help with the cross-browser comparisons, but it’s an interesting site nonetheless.

matt44903

People need to calm down.

First, as others have said, well done.
    Second, I think you need to figure out what you want the page to be used for. You have both opinions and facts on their, in my experience, you can not have both without stating so somehow on the site. So… I think you need to figure that out and go from their. Like another commenter said, if you want to put your opinion in the site, you need to test each browser, then report, report, report. If you choose to do facts only, just watch where you get your facts and make sure you source where you got your information. Or another option (Which I do not recommend) is to not update it, forget about it and move on to something else. But if you choose not to do that, because, who knows, maybe we will see this on the “Hot Links” list in the near future. (Even though Chris just posted something similar to this using HTML Forms documentation)

Well, hope my tangent helps something…

Johnnyb

Cool looking site, you’re one and only weakness for chrome made me chuckle though. I used the think the sun shined out of chromes arse too, until I realized that it couldn’t handle certain javascript animations smoothly over a full-screen background image. It was really choppy in chrome, firefox was the 2nd choppiest, and then IE and opera were both beautifully smooth. And ever tried playing full screen video over a fullscreen background image in chrome? Super choppy, the framerate drops way down. It’s a good light browser and I still use it a lot, but it has it limitations and still seems to have a lot of bugs.

seeingsound

People, don’t say well done, when it’s really not. There is nothing worse then non constructive criticism. Yes, he will get ego boost from that, but will his skills improve? No. But if I say that hey, the site sucks, he will go “**** that guy, i’m gonna make this site the best site ever”. And that will improve his skills.
    So be careful with your false positive criticism

Thanks for your advice everyone, I will make the relevant changes. The strengths and weaknesses are both from my own experience using the browsers and information off the web.

@mixxmac
    – Thanks for the advice on inline styling
    @ccc639 – Thanks for that link, I will add an accordion on the site about IE6 with content from that site :)

@Johnnyb
    – I wasn’t aware of those problems in Chrome but thanks for the info.

@seeingsound
    – Saying peoples work “sucks” pushes them down and doesn’t give encouragement to improve unless you constructively criticize. None the less thanks for the advice. I also have used all of the browsers and the strengths and weaknesses are both my personal feelings and info from the web.

ccc630

@seeingsound — While I agree with the idea that constructive criticism is necessary, just saying something sucks is anything but constructive, and it’s certainly not the point of this forum. Just saying ‘it sucks’ doesn’t offer specific feedback, it doesn’t address areas that need improvement; all it does is make the person saying it sound petty or uninformed.

JamesBarnsley
    Participant

Correct, saying peoples work sucks is what is called a “negative process” there is a website about things like this. It states that anyone who has achieved success in life has been positively processed, and people who are achieving failure have been “negatively processed”.

http://www.knowledgism.com/abuse/enhance.asp

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.