Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Browser Facts – New Website about the different browsers available – Feedback wanted

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author

Hi guys,

I was really bored yesterday so I made this site. Ywww.browserfacts.net

Im going to have an IE conditional comment on my sites with a link to this with a note to read “The problems with IE”.

I hope it can be useful to some of you too.

Please inform me if I have any incorrect statements in the site… I got the information off Wikipedia!

Thanks,
    Micky

@wolfcry911

lol Point it out and Il make changes :)

Thats exactly why I posted it here to make sure Im correct :)

TT_Mark

There’s also some poor coding practices

TheLeggett

I think it’s important to note that a lot of the statistics for browser usage appear to come from w3schools.com. They derive those statistics from their own user base, so while it’s an accurate representation of their own viewers, it really only serves as a benchmark for the rest of us!

Another benchmark would be Wikimedia, which sees over 40% of it’s users using IE as of January 2011: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Browser_usage_on_wikimedia_pie_chart.png

I’m not sure there are any very broad surveys out there that would give a very accurate number in this regard, though I would love to see one! Whatever the case, it’s worth nothing that a site built primarily for developers will most likely yield higher percentages of viewers using browsers like Fx, Chrome, Opera, etc.

@TT_Mark Will you point them out please ? :)

@TheLeggett
    I noticed that article with IE with 40% but I decided to go with the W3schools statistics as they are probably more reliable as anyone can edit Wikipedia!

TT_Mark

Sure, use the th tag for table headings, rather than styling a td to look different.

Inline styling everywhere!

Also, lack of alt tags on images!!! :-)

TheLeggett

Michael: here is where the stats are derived from http://stats.wikimedia.org/archive/squid_reports/2010-12/SquidReportClients.htm

Neither the wikimedia stats, or the w3schools stats would provide a very reliable representation of all internet users. It would be expected that the wikimedia stats to be more consistent with the general population though considering that w3schools targets developers and designers (who are often more educated about browser choice).

TheLeggett

Actually, I think Mark is right in saying alt tags would be good to have :) http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/embedded-content-1.html#alt

Cool thanks :)

TT_Mark

@michaeloneill

That’s the stupidest thing I’ve ever heard any web developer say EVER

Alt tags are for accessibility, not just because it’ll be valid/invalid markup

@TT_Mark – Im young and still learning, thanks for the advice :)

Whats wrong with Inline styling ? :S

seeingsound

“Not as popular as the competition” is not a weakness. Weakness by definition has to be a flaw or weak point. Popularity is neither of those.
    There are so many mistakes on your site that it’s sad. Do your research and try again

@seeingsound I got most of this info off Wikipedia, the reason I posted it here is for people like you to point out these mistakes. Thanks for you advice above but maybe you’d be kind enough to help ?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.