Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Design Brand New to This

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Justin L Savage
    Participant

Hey there! My name is Justin and I am fairly new to the web design world. I’m pretty comfortable with HTML, CSS, Javascript/JQuery; but I think I would like to start designing websites for money. However, I’m only in high school. Do I need more education and/or is it too early for me to be doing this? (And too add to a long list of questions) If It’s time for me to start, how do I begin?

• Thanks
    Alen
    Participant

To early… HELL NO. But there’s A LOT you must learn to run viable/sustainable business.

Starting with this. IMO would be more beneficial than any coding you might learn. Things like client relations play pivotal role in getting business.

And the most important part. Learn how to say NO.

how do I begin?

Take 8×10 printer paper, print “I do web design and development, call me at … ” and place it around your town. When people call explain your situation (I’m new, willing to learn, to collaborate, etc) tell them the truth.

You do not want to start any relationship with the lie. It will come back to bite you.

If you don’t get anything, just start developing a small brochure like website for your favorite team or your local high school chess club or whatever… get some work done and use it as portfolio pieces.

Another option would be to get an internship and learn as much as possible, not just the coding part, but how your boss interacts with clients, ask him/her to take you into client meetings, etc… be interested in any (all) aspects of business.

Hope that helps.

-Alen

Justin L Savage
    Participant

Thanks guys! Great Advice!

Alen
    Participant

I should also mention this.

It’s always hard before it’s easy.

While on this journey, you WILL get frustrated, just remember the quote above and keep riding the roller coaster. We’re all been there.

And lastly, (or should this be firstly)

Have fun! :)

-Alen

Anonymous
    Inactive

For how long have you been doing it? Someone who knows HTML, CSS, Javascript, and jQuery doesn’t sound so new.

Ricardo C.
    Participant

Hello Justine,
    I would hold on just for a wee bit. First you have to prove worthiness of your design skills. Anyone can just learn html, css, javascript, and jQuery (technically design too but you get my point), but to stand out from the thousands others who know those languages you must have good design skills unless your clients are not going to care about the design and prefer functionality over design, which at times does happen, but you don’t use those for your portfolio or maybe you do. Create a few mock ups and show them to friends and family and ask them to critique your work, ask them to be honest with you, depending on their answer you can start or you can continue to polish your design skills.

Attentively,
    Ricardo C.
    T: @117_ricky
    g+: http://goo.gl/uA1xTy

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Justin!
    I am only 16 y/o myself and have made 7 ‘real’ websites, some of them for large companies. What I discovered is that to get jobs as a young person, you need contacts. I got to know people through an internship, but you could try asking your parents and friends if they know anyone! Also, when you get work done, call them back after ~3 months to check up on them to see if they are happy and/or if they have any new jobs for you. This way, you will keep them happy and make them recommend you to others, which is crucial!

Good luck!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Design’ is closed to new topics and replies.