Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Body Border Problem

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    anthonykrese
    Participant

Just started as a content manager (pr person) for a website. I upgraded WordPress and now the body border-bottom of 5px appears more than halfway up the page. I’ve set the border to 0px so it doesn’t show up (as it’s a live commercial site). I’ve checked my local install and everything seems to match up, except my page bottom-border is fine!

If you go to http://www.ailnz.co.nz, open up firebug to css mode and set the body border-bottom to 5px, you’ll see the border doesn’t sit at the bottom. I’m working hard to learn CSS myself, but I want to fix this asap. Could anyone give me a lead?

As I’m still green, the post regarding w3 validation was welcome, except my site got an error. sigh. A warm welcome to the web for me. haha…off hunting for the answer to that one. Any advice would be much appreciated.

TheDoc

Well would you look at that, what an interesting problem. Normally I would say something about clearing your floats, but I’m not sure that applies in the case of styles applied to the body.

I’ll have to ponder this one for a sec.

dvdgoss

The height of the body seems to be defaulting to 100% (you’ll notice if you add the border thickness in that it will always appear just below the visible area of the window it loads in). The only thing I can think of is to take the properties off the body tag and instead apply them to a big all-encompassing container div and give it a min-height of 100%. Might work.

TheDoc
    "dvdgoss" wrote:
    The height of the body seems to be defaulting to 100% (you’ll notice if you add the border thickness in that it will always appear just below the visible area of the window it loads in). The only thing I can think of is to take the properties off the body tag and instead apply them to a big all-encompassing container div and give it a min-height of 100%. Might work.

Nice find!

Simply removing this style:

Code:
    html, body {
    height: 100%;
    }

Seemed to do the trick for me, give that one a go.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.