Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

Blocking other countries from visiting your website?

• # August 31, 2013 at 12:20 pm

How do you people go about blocking a certain country, or countries from visiting your website?

I’ll probably block all countries outside Canada, since the website is more for people in a specific region.

# August 31, 2013 at 1:45 pm

I’ll probably block all countries outside Canada

That’s 1000′s of IP ranges of each country different ISP’s. You think it’s worth it? Reserve the blocking for those ranges you getting spam from or some other malicious activity.

# September 1, 2013 at 5:44 am

How do you people go about blocking a certain country, or countries from visiting your website?

This is not a good idea. Proxies exist and some people use them. There are many other, individual, reasons why you are probably wrong in thinking no-one outside your intended reason might want to visit your website (travel, relocation). Also, people outside your region can still pass on links to those who are.

A well written website will not confuse people as to who it is intended for. If the issue is a legal one regarding content distribution then, again, it is still better not to restrict access to the whole site, just that specific content.

# September 2, 2013 at 9:39 am

I really don’t think you should bother with this unless you were having problems being hacked from a certain range of ip’s. If you’re using WordPress, you could look at plugins e.g. better wordpress security and wordfence.

# September 2, 2013 at 9:56 pm

@Mikey

Thanks. I’m trying out Wordfence now.

P.S. Seems to be working good so far. It showed me three login attemps.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".