Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Bizarre IE6 layering bug

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    daGUY

Here’s today’s IE6 issue of the day :lol:

I’ve got a pretty standard site – header with a big graphic up at the top, four links at the right end of the header, and a menu underneath. When you point at the third link, it displays a little box explaining what it is, which partially overlaps the menu. The link calls a simple JavaScript that toggles the "display" property on the box from "none" to "block" and back again.

Here’s the problem – in IE6, sometimes the box displays underneath the menu (as if its z-index is lower than the menu’s), and sometimes it displays on top of it (like it’s supposed to). I can’t figure out any rhyme or reason to what causes the difference – it happens seemingly at random each time I load the page.

I tried playing around with z-index and stuff, but it didn’t make a difference.

I saved the HTML from each case and ran a diff on it – the code is identical. Is this some weird bug or something? I don’t see how the same code can display differently just by refreshing the page.

Any ideas? Sorry, I can’t include sample code or a screenshot as this is an internal project.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.