Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Best way to tackle this

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Ricky55

Hi Guys

I’ve been given this design to code into a WP theme.

I’m just wondering how you would go about achieving the Table Cloth at an angle?

I realise that this design is over reliant on images but the client loves it.

Just would like to get a few ideas.

Cheers

Ricky55
    Paulie_D

Single background image would seem to be the answer with the wood & tablecloth together.

chrisburton
    Participant

That tablecloth can be done via CSS3 gradients.

Paulie_D

>That tablecloth can be done via CSS3 gradients.

Sure…but is it worth it?

Sometimes an image is the right answer. This would seem to be the case here.

chrisburton
    Participant

I don’t particularly care for the design either way but why wouldn’t it be worth it? You can use gradients for the tablecloth and an image for fallback.

Ricky55

If you look carefully at the cloth its not regular so I don’t think it could be done in CSS, sure I could make it look similar.

I’m not overly convinced by CSS gradients anyway. Sometimes the code weight can add up to more than the image. I suppose its one less HTTP request.

I’ve tried a large div with a repeating image for the cloth and that works fine with rotate. Its just whether I use rotate and a repeating image or just a large image to create the whole cloth that would at least look ok in browsers that don’t support rotate.

I was planning on making the body have the wood background.

Always interesting to see how others would do things.

I might just go for rotate and sack off IE 7 and 8.

Cheers guys

chrisburton
    Participant

What do you mean it’s not regular? You mean the squares being irregular in size? That looks like a mistake on the graphic designer’s part.

Well, you wouldn’t need to support IE7 or IE8 unless your analytics show they are important.

Senff
    Participant

> You mean the squares being irregular in size? That looks like a mistake on the graphic designer’s part.

Doesn’t seem like a mistake, I think it’s just to make things more natural.

I would just use an image that’s already rotated and has some transparency, instead of a straight one and rotate it with CSS.

Paulie_D

Why even bother with the rotate?

Use the wood bg image on the `html` tag and a suitably positioned png of the tablecloth in it’s current configuration on the `body`.

I assume that they are available as two images?

chrisburton
    Participant

@Senff Agree to disagree.

Ricky55

Senff you are correct, its not a mistake its so the cloth looks like a fabric. So the lines are not uniform.

Anyways I think I’ll go with what you have suggested Paulie. I’ve been experimenting a little with the transform rotate and it seems to give varying results.

Thanks for all the comments.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.