Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Best Way to Display Portfolio?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    spate1y

So I am redesigning my company’s site and I wanted to get some advice on how to make the profile professional but at the same time effective for usage and designer friendly.

My main concern is getting the screenshot of the project (website). I have SnagIt but everytime I re-size my browser the images have a different ratio of height to width. Is there a way to correctly get these screenshots?

Also are there any recommendations on displaying the portfolio in general?

Much Appreciated!

I use the FireShot add-on for Firefox to take screenshots, usually. It has a ton of great features, from capturing the whole page to adding notes or cropping. Jing is another great screenshot program, if you don’t like browser add-ons.

As for displaying the portfolio, follow the KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid) standard, provide some information about each project or maybe even a case study, limit it to no more than your top ten or so, and provide a link to the live site whenever possible.

kankata

portfolios can be approached in many ways – in many respects they are the most important page of a webdesigners website – they showcase your ability to do what you say you can

I suggest we come up with a variety of dos and donts for designers who want to show off there wares.

What I like to see in portfolio’s

# Large, crisp images
    # Date ordered info
    # Sortable info (e.g. by, date, type, application)
    # Easy to use
    # Simple Navigation

What I don’t like to see in portfolio’s

# Tiny thumnails
    # Tricky Navigation (have to click many times to find images/links)
    # A pop up for each new image in the folio
    # Images that don’t do a peice of work justice
    # Over-optimised screenshots – if people are there they are probably willing to wait that little extra for quality.

Ab rocket

toyotiya

What type of portfolio should I present for my interview with creative agency? I’m interviewing for an agency that hires for the creative field. What is the best way to present my portfolio to them?

vroooomtech
    "kankata" wrote:
    portfolios can be approached in many ways – in many respects they are the most important page of a webdesigners website – they showcase your ability to do what you say you can

I suggest we come up with a variety of dos and donts for designers who want to show off there wares.

What I like to see in portfolio’s

# Large, crisp images
    # Date ordered info
    # Sortable info (e.g. by, date, type, application)
    # Easy to use
    # Simple Navigation

What I don’t like to see in portfolio’s

# Tiny thumnails
    # Tricky Navigation (have to click many times to find images/links)
    # A pop up for each new image in the folio
    # Images that don’t do a peice of work justice
    # Over-optimised screenshots – if people are there they are probably willing to wait that little extra for quality.

Ab rocket

Good tips here. I’m going to be re-designing my company’s portfolio soon, and I’ll go with these. I can already tell it’s going to look so much better.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.