Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Best platform for user messaging/inboxes

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Johnnyb

Hey guys,

I need to create a website which includes a blog, forum, membership signup (both free and paid), user profile pages (photo, user information, bio etc), and the ability for users to be able to message/inbox each other. I’m very familiar with WordPress development and so my first thought was that platform (and I probably still will for the majority of the site), but I’m wondering whether there’s a better alternative for handling the user profile/messaging aspect.

I’ve watched all of Chris’s videos on how he built this site and added the lodge with user memberships etc, and I know that members can inbox each other through this forum, but I’m looking to build something more robust than just forum messaging (think a dating site where users can send each other messages/view profiles).

Does anyone have a suggestion on a good platform to use (preferably PHP based)? I’ve found a few WordPress plugins ([User Messages](http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/user-messages/ “”) for example), but it doesn’t look very extensive. Does anyone have any experience with this plugin or any other platform which would be a good fit?

Thanks in advance!

John

BuddyPress has everything you are asking for, and integrates with wordpress which youre allready familiar with. That being said, it is a huge code base and can be a gigantic pain. I’m 100% certain there are people on this forum with horror stories, but, as I said, it does everything you asked for.

Johnnyb

Cheers Will, I’ll check it out. Sounds like a good fit. Just curious, have you used it before yourself?

Still open to other options if anyone else has suggestions!

Johnnyb

Thanks guys. If you don’t mind me asking, what is it in particular that is a pain when working with BuddyPress? On paper it sounds promising, but obviously I don’t want to get too far down that road if it’s just going to cause me a myriad of headaches. Can anyone offer any specifics as to why I should avoid it?

theacefes

http://www.invisionpower.com/

This has many of those features. I’ve used it for years and it isn’t that hard to set up or maintain.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.