Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Best Framework for wordpress

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    dini

Recently i read a post in SM regarding the wordpress frameworks.
    I never used or designed theme for wordpress.
    Even after reading the post,Iam still confused about a starting point.

Every framework described has some forms of styling in it.
    There is no Blank or Naked Theme.
    Can anybody suggest a good blank theme for a starter like me.

Thanks
    dini

AshtonSanders
    Participant

Hi,

"dini" wrote:
    wordpress frameworks.

I’m assuming you mean "themes": the template designs for WP.

"dini" wrote:
    Can anybody suggest a good blank theme for a starter like me.

You can search Google for a "blank" theme, but I normally just start with the WP Classic theme (comes with WP), and delete everything in the style.css to make it blank.

Rob MacKay
    Participant

Yo :)

I use Starkers! You can get it here: http://elliotjaystocks.com/blog/

(direct link if you cant find it – http://elliotjaystocks.com/siteWideAsse … P2.6.2.zip )

its basically a naked WP theme. :)

apostrophe
    Participant

I generally go with starkers too, but this has been getting rave reviews lately and is a theme framework http://themeshaper.com/thematic/

x386

I think theme framework like thematic are very complex to work with. You have to spend some time with them to know how exactly they work, and how’s generated markup look like. So, I’ve made myself a blank theme. I’m familiar with my own code conventions so I like it more than thematic.

Granted I’m new to WordPress, but I’ve been developing a ton of custom themes just to get a handle on it. What I’ve settled on is getting Starkers and I’ve created several basic blank layouts from Starkers and then saving those separately.

I made a basic left side nav, right side nav, content in the middle. Then I made a classic header, then horizonal menu, then content area template. Then I created a couple variations of floating side navs with horizontal or vertical menus.

Now I have those in a "theme" folder (not inside WP) – when I practice to get better, I’ll go to any template site, look around for something appealing, then I’ll try to duplicate the overall feel. Then I’ll take the template that has the basic elements I’m seeing, copy that into the themes directory and I can literally start manipulating it immediately, inserting graphics, changing widths and heights, etc. Because I’ve already laid the groundwork for the basic styles, I can quickly find what I want and start changing it.

Now, I just need to learn alot of the WP tips and tricks :)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.