Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

bbPress Forum Adopting Parent Theme

• # January 24, 2013 at 9:32 pm

I have already asked this question on the bbPress forum under Troubleshooting, but with all things related to WordPress forums, no one is really on the message board. So, I have chosen to ask you guys since I know there is a rather large niche group of WordPress folk on CSS-Tricks. End rant.

I currently have an issue. I have a separate CSS document for each one of my pages. For my forum, I am using style-forum.css and it works just fine. Or it did until I installed the plugin for bbPress. I installed bbPress and reloaded my forum page and it seems to be pulling its styles from the original style.css rather than the aforementioned CSS document. I know I did everything correctly because it was working just fine before I added bbPress. But just to make sure, I deactivate bbPress and, sure enough, it began reading from style-forum.css again. How do I use bbPress with the correct CSS document?

I have looked through the PHP on bbPress and I can not seem to find anything referencing style.css or any other CSS document for that matter. It must be pulling it from somewhere. I simply want to use my own CSS document for my forums. Thank you for any help you can give me. Cheers!

Edit: I just wanted to mention that I really want to use bbPress because it has come so far in the past couple of years as far as usability is concerned, but maybe it is just not quite there yet.

# January 24, 2013 at 11:27 pm

@mintertweed, Justin Tadlock has written a great article about removing scripts and styles from plugins, you may want to give that a go, and see if it helps.

http://justintadlock.com/archives/2009/08/06/how-to-disable-scripts-and-styles

# January 25, 2013 at 2:50 pm

I read the article. I went looking for what is calling the style.css document. I found a file located in bbpress/templates/default/css called bbpress.css, and the person on bbPress’ forums suggested I change my style-forums.css to bbpress.css, but it does not seem to overwrite it. I am afraid of what might happen if I change any other files that deep into WordPress. Also, I have run into another snag. I deactivated bbPress to see if I had coded style-forums.css correctly (now named bbpress.css) and when I reactivated bbPress, my forums have disappeared. So, I went to Forums > All Forums and it still shows them as being there, but they are not appearing on my Forums page like they were before. So, I guess I now have two problems.

# January 25, 2013 at 2:53 pm

@mintertweed, did you move your (formerly `style-forums.css`) bbpress.css to the location `bbpress/templates/default/css/`?

# January 25, 2013 at 3:11 pm

Ugh! U_U I feel like an idiot. Yeah, that indeed works. Okay, I have that fixed. Now I need to figure out where my forums went. And I realize that I need to integrate my CSS code with bbPress’ for bbpress.css because it has a lot of important styles in there for the forum and such. But that is beside the point. My forums have not been displaying properly ever since I deactivated and then reactivated bbPress. Grrsome. Okay, onward to problem two! Thank you for your help thus far!

# January 25, 2013 at 3:20 pm

@mintertweed, I’ve never used bbpress, but I installed it on a dummy wordpress install I had to see what’s going on..check your file structure.. it sets up slugs like `/forums` `/posts` etc..that’s where the forums **should** be, and you can edit those slugs in “Plugins > bbPress > Settings”

They also give you an option to reset the forums under “Tools > Forums”

As far as setting up the css to keep all the important styles set by bbpress, I’d download the .zip from [here](http://bbpress.org/download/ “”), and go through that, and add any necessary styles to _your_ bbpress.css

# January 25, 2013 at 3:39 pm

The forums base is set to “forums” and the location of the forums on my localhost is localhost/wordpress/forums/ so there shouldn’t be any problem there. It’s weird because everything (apart from the CSS document) was working until I deactivated bbPress. When I reactivated bbPress, nothing was there. I looked at the forums I had set up and they were still there. I even created a new forum, but nothing shows up on my forums page of my website. Hrm.

# January 25, 2013 at 3:47 pm

@mintertweed, I don’t want to mess anything up for you, but have you tried the reset? Better yet, when you go to “Forums > View” in the dashboard, what’s the slug you see for that page? or is it a blank page?

# January 25, 2013 at 4:24 pm

I reset Firefox. The forums still do not appear. I go into Forums > All Forums, hover over the first forum I created, select “View” and I can see it just fine. What does this mean? So, the forums are indeed there. They just are not showing up on my Forums page like they were before I deactivated/reactivated bbPress.

Edit: I thought maybe it could be another plugin effecting bbPress, so I deactivated all my plugins except for bbPress and it is still not working. I am running out of ideas. Also, my WordPress is up-to-date.

# January 25, 2013 at 4:37 pm

@mintertweed, without poking around for myself, this is all speculation on my part..but my forum “test” was found at `/forums/forum/test` I don’t think anything is _supposed_ to be there at `/forums/` or even `/forums/forum` based on the documentation, [here](http://codex.bbpress.org/getting-started-with-bbpress/#creating-your-first-forum “”).

# January 25, 2013 at 4:45 pm

All I know is, localhost/wordpress/forums/ was populated with a forum when I first added bbPress as a plugin. I deactivated bbPress to see if my CSS document style-forums.css was indeed working. I then went back to activate bbPress and nothing appeared on my “Forums” page. Also, if nothing is supposed to appear on either /forums/ or /forums/forum then how do people look at your forum? Also, I know that can’t be true, because it was working just fine before I deactivated it. Me thinks I have run into a bug.

# January 25, 2013 at 4:57 pm

@mintertweed, looking through the support forums, it seems like you’re not the only one that has dealt with this:

http://bbpress.org/forums/topic/installed-now-how-do-i-get-it-visible/

http://bbpress.org/forums/topic/bbpress-forum-on-wordpress-page/

http://bbpress.org/forums/topic/default-template-not-working-for-forum-page/

Plus several more threads covering this same topic

# January 25, 2013 at 6:50 pm

Welp, at least I am not alone. But really, bbPress has come a long way since the last time I used it. I will see what I can do about this bug.

# January 25, 2013 at 7:25 pm

Thank you, @ChrisP, for the links. The last one really helped. I typed in [bbp-forum-index] on my Forums page and the forum is now there. I was wondering why I didn’t need to do something like that originally. Sort of like, “how does WordPress know which page I want to be the forum?” It works, for now.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".