Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Basecamp HQ Alternatives…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    enfotoad

anyone know of a free alternative to basecamp?

Rob MacKay
    Participant

I have used: http://www.collabtive.o-dyn.de it was pretty good :)

enfotoad

I currently use that at my site. The only problem is I have to host it, which I don’t want to. Any other options?

Zaki_Usman

I work for a company called Severa. We launched our Severa 3 which is free for one user. Try it at http://www.severa.com

enfotoad

Severa looks very nice. It’s just a little to advanced for my clients.

I am probably going to use Goplan 2.0

kevin123

I am big fan of proofhub and i am totally agree with deepika. Proofhub is best project management software. It is easy to use and fast. Best features of proofhub is File sharing, milestones, to-do lists, quick notes

Chris Coyier
    Keymaster

Email + Keeping stuff in a shared team folder on Dropbox

Very much not the same, but that’s mostly how I roll. Sometimes you gotta ask yourself if you need all the fanciness or if a darn text file can do the same thing.

Andy Staple
    Participant

@JoshWhiteDesign – ProjectPier is actually a fork off of ActiveCollab. ActiveCollab was at one point open source. Right when they moved to closed-source, Project Pier started where AC left off with its open source.

ProjectPier and Collabtive both are free, but lacking a lot of UI elements, and I can’t find anything nearly as nice as the paid alternatives.

There are plenty of paid alternatives though.
    ActiveCollab
    ActionMethod (Behance Networks own system)

I ran Project Pier for 3 months, but just gave in and paid for Basecamp. I have my clients use it with me, so I need it to be as simple as possible.

WORKetc isn’t free, but it’s very affordable and will probably save you money in the long run.

It’s a “complete business management application” that combines CRM with project management and billing. Under one system a company can manage its entire business. You can collaborate on all aspects of business (leads, tasks, invoices, you name it…) not to mention WORKetc offers more than the majority of other solutions out there… combined.

If you’re serious about your business then ultimately you’re not going to find what you need in free applications. They set unnecessary limitations on your business and are usually made with the same company offering a “premium” version, only using the free version as a way to trick you into purchasing it. They assume that by the frustration from the lack of features the free version offers, clients will then choose the paid version to get done what the free version could not.

WORKetc takes the short cut here, so-to-speak. By not setting any limitations on your business you’re avoiding further problems down the road, while allowing growth and motivating workers.

The features within WORKetc are very powerful, and out-do many of its competitors, as you can see here: http://www.worketc.com/compare

burtflaxton
    Participant

Drop-Box + GDocs + GMail + Android personally.

I have used basecamp & huddle in the past. Most everything is over kill and believe it or not will reduce productivity quite drastically. Wave, to me was the best solution.

For a client I do not know what I would recommend though.

Amos
    Participant

Proofhub looks good. We use Proofhub Trial version and found it to be good online Project Management tool.

Chris_R
    Participant

I am a freelancer and I have been using proofhub (www.proofhub.com) for the past one year and it has made my work really hassle free. It has got features like proofing tool, casper mode, gantt chart which has made my work a lot easier.

leesa
    Participant

Proofhub is free if you are managing one project, which would probably work for your needs. It does task and time tracking, along with files and document uploading, so your team could communication from all over. Integration with Google drive and dropbox solves the problem of files stored in different apps. Just drag n drop or attach everything from everywhere into the files section of Proofhub.

nixnerd
    Participant

What’s wrong with Github? If you don’t want to pay for private repos and want to host your code on your server, go with Gitlab or Bit Bucket or something like that. All of these are essentially the same as they’re just a front end for git… the most robust system for managing ANY project in my opinion. Paired with Github… you really can’t beat it.

nixnerd
    Participant

What’s wrong with Github?

I had no idea how old this thread was when I said this.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.