Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

Background Image

• # November 16, 2008 at 3:38 am

Sounds like a realy basic question but one that I always disregard when starting a new site. I have noticed that when I view some of my sites on 800 x 600 resolutions (others PC’s), things are missing on the screen as it is too small.

When I start out my project does this mean that I need to start out in photoshop with the design process with a project that is merely 800px wide?

How does this explain then the sites I have seen that are like 1600px wide? Does this mean that only half of the site will be viewable in these resolutions?

How can I get around this so that it looks good in all browsers?

Any help, links or tutorials would be greatly appreciated.

# November 16, 2008 at 5:56 am

Hi,

If you want a fixed width layout, then yes, you need to adapt your website to a screen resolution.
    You may want to make it for 800×600, or, as a lot of designers now, 1024×768 (say 960px width to avoid problems with the scrollbar) as it is the most commonly used resolution now : w3c browser display statistics.

You can also build your website with a "liquid design" which size will automatically adapt to any resolution or browser window size.

I suggest you take a look the famous and very useful A List Apart article "In search of the holy grail" to learn more about layouts.

Hope this will be of any help, and sorry for the poor english…

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".