Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

background image problem

• # April 12, 2008 at 10:39 am

Hey,

Im trying to mimc the effect that Chris went through in his latest screencast. The problem im having is that i have a gradient background so that when i try and use the main-content background image as a repeat im getting a nasty effect. So instead i tried just using the background as the complete section that i intend on having the main content area, but still getting a nasty effect.

What i really want is to be able to take a small section of the background image for the main content area and then repeat that in y so that no matter how much text is within the are the background will just repeat but respecting the gradient background. I also tried a png but got bad tiling effect.

Anyways enough rambling here is the link to the test page:

http://www.encorenails.com/encore

the style.css is http://www.encorenails.com/encore/style.css

Any help at all will be wicked

Thanks

# April 12, 2008 at 12:13 pm

I see you have a vertical gradient which is going to make the vertically repeating graphic for the main content area more complicated. One solution might be to use an alpha-transparent PNG for the main content area background image which can lay that drop shadow down over the page background and not interfere that way. Of course you’ll have the usual IE6 problem (it doesn’t display alpha transparency without a proprietary "filter"), but you can either just say screw IE 6 or use the "hack".

# April 12, 2008 at 12:53 pm

Nice one Chris, ill try the png method for this. I should still be able to repeat the png without any trouble right? and then switch back to a jpg to close off the content are?

Benn

# April 12, 2008 at 1:02 pm

Just done what you suggested about using a png for the repeating image, but again the tiling is very weird, instead of being a seamless image its tiling and looks nasty

please visit the below site for an example:

http://www.encorenails.com/encore/

# April 12, 2008 at 5:38 pm

If I understand your problem correctly, you want a gradient background that always stretches to fill the height of the page, right? You can’t repeat-y because the gradient will then tile, but if you stretch the image too much or too little then it won’t fit perfectly.

So what you can do instead is fake it. I had to do this once and IIRC this was the technique I used. Make a <div> that fills the entire page:

Code:
    div#background {
    position: absolute;
    left: 0px;
    top: 0px;
    height: 100%;
    width: 100%;
    z-index: 1;
    }

Then, instead of setting a background image, put the image inside that <div> and set both its dimensions to 100%:

Code:

Now the image will always stretch to fit the whole <div>, which in turn will always stretch to fit the whole window. All you have to do now is give the other elements on the page a higher z-index so the "background" image doesn’t cover them up.

Note that I just wrote this from memory and didn’t test it, so it may or may not work perfectly, but that’s the theory at least :lol:

# April 13, 2008 at 12:14 pm

Hey cheers for the replies.

I managed to tweek a few areas. I added a margin: -1px; to the main-content area to line it up with the header and footer links.

The issue im having now is that i can not get the nav-on image to work. You know, if you’ve seen it yet, Chris’s new screencast where he shows how he made the links using sprites, exactly what he has on this site.

Well i can not get my ‘on’ image to show i only get the ‘off’ and ‘rollover’ images to be working where as when the link is clicked i would like it to turn to the ‘on’ image.

Hope this all made sense, anyways here is the link to the site:

http://www.encorenails.com

Thanks

Benn

# April 14, 2008 at 1:41 am

He hasn’t put up the tutorial for the "on" page yet, just rollover and off.

# November 24, 2010 at 2:04 pm

I also have a site that I am doing the vertical drop shadow on the outside of the content area that will be expanding taller as the content changes…

The graphics designer placed the drop shadow over the background image and the client wants to keep changing out the background at various times…

So I had thought about trying to use the .png solution for the drop shadow… and the client said to not worry about users that are still using IE6…

My question is – :

1. Is that still the best way to accomplish this given the facts mentioned above…

2. Is there any other browser that might have a problem doing it this way?

Thanks so much!

Tim

# November 28, 2010 at 2:17 pm

1. I believe that pngs are the best way to accomplish this and no, you don’t need to worry about IE 6 users if you use the png fix, which is very simple.

2. Maybe some ancient browser? I wouldn’t worry about it.

# November 28, 2010 at 2:18 pm

@benn

I’m getting a 403 forbidden for your site.

When you say “on when it’s clicked” do you mean only for the brief moment when it’s clicked or do you want it to stay that way for the duration of the time spent on the page?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".