Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

Average clients budget?

• # February 3, 2012 at 12:58 am

What is your average clients budget?

# February 3, 2012 at 1:58 am

You will really need to break this question down. Based kind of project are we talking about? I don’t know about everyone else but I don’t have much of an average client as everyone needs something different.

Rob
    # February 3, 2012 at 5:10 am

Josh is right :) What kinda service are you offering etc etc :)

# February 4, 2012 at 5:22 am

Agreed with the above, I know it sucks when the only response you get to pricing information is “It depends” but that’s literally how it is.

I was recently having a conversation with another local design business about their pricing “packages”, I don’t want to hijack your thread but I think it’s in the same category, for the reasons Josh said, every project is unique so the idea of generalizing packages is difficult..

Just take EVERY project’s unique requirements, work out how long those tasks are going to take you (be generous and add a few for problems) then multiply that by your hourly wage.

So for example, a small business website:

• Home
    • About Us
    • Our Services
    • Testimonials
    • Contact Us

I would bill anywhere from 15+ hours design. 4-8 hours HTML/CSS conversion, then 10-20 for wordpressn’… then a couple extra for meetings, design resources if needed, and overhead. Obviously these are just estimates, project complexities, your skill, and many other factors make it impossible to give any form of accuracy.

# February 4, 2012 at 10:13 pm

One thing that I think is worth mentioning is simply how fast you are at the services you offer. Take Sliver’s example – some people spent a lot more time on design, or others take far less and go with a really generic uncustom look to save time. Others are REALLY good at putting together templates and might only need 6 to 8 hours of wordpress theme development and they might pay someone else for the design portion.

I think you’ve got a really wide range on both the client side and the development side.

If you have absolutely no idea whatsoever, you’ve got to start somewhere. Personally I can’t stand trying to bill someone hourly and make it open ended, so I might sit down and think “Ok, worst case scenario, I might need 20 hours to do “x”, then because I’m brand spanking new, I’ll only charge someone say $18 to $25 an hour to do it”. Even project can vary pretty widely, but over time you just kind of get a feel for how long it’s going to take. Sometimes you are spot on, others you are under and even others you are potentially way over. It all kind of works out if you find a balance.

# February 5, 2012 at 10:35 am

You might also try making a fictional site, just to see how long it takes you to do something. Pretend to be your own client, and lay out certain criteria you have to meet. Keep track of how long it takes you to do it, then you’ll have a better idea of what to charge your real clients. Then, if you’re lucky, you might even be able to sell the site.

# February 6, 2012 at 9:59 am

Ok well lets take slivers example, I see from he said a total of 40+ hours work there. Charged at the average freelancer rate of $40 an hour and that gives $1600 for a WordPress website?

Do people actually pay that? I have seen WordPress websites going for $300 on other websites.

This is what I mean, people say they charging $40 an hour, but whoes gonne pay $1600 for a small business website built on WordPress?

There seems to be a mismatch between peoples apparent $40 an hour and the average clients budget of say $300 for a small business website.

# February 6, 2012 at 12:21 pm

Yes, we’ve all seen wordpress sites going for $300, and that’s exactly what you get, $300 of a template that only does a limited amount of things, isn’t customized at all, is not properly supported, and the list goes on.

What I’m trying to understand is your distinction of a “WordPress site”. Are you suggesting that because it’s on WP that it should be a cheaper product?

It depends on what kind of client you attract. $300 budget clients are not the types of clients I personally want to deal with. They are generally high maintenance and don’t have a respect or understanding of high quality design or marketing work. I’m usually going after people who’ve already done that project for $300, saw the drawbacks and now they are ready to take it seriously which takes much more serious money.

# February 6, 2012 at 2:45 pm

This is what I mean, people say they charging $40 an hour, but whoes gonne pay $1600 for a small business website built on WordPress?

All of the people that I deal with.

There are always going to be people that don’t value your work. That’s okay because that’s not the client that you want to get.

# February 6, 2012 at 3:05 pm

Not to change the subject, but what’s a typical annual income of a middle of the road designer/developer? It seems like $75,000 if you can pretty consistently make $1,600/week. I’m not a professional, but would like to be one someday (I’d also like to be able to develop an entire customized wordpress site in a week). I’ve been living in Honduras and have been making low-grade customized WordPress sites for clients for about $400. But then again that gets me by for at least a month of living expenses haha.

# February 6, 2012 at 4:03 pm

As a freelancer or employee?

I don’t know of many designer/developers that work for small businesses that make over $50k a year unless you are doing a lot of extra stuff that makes you more valuable. Big companies let you go up the ladder as level I, II, and III of any particular type of highly specialized technical job and those can go up to $100k+.

But as you point out, it’s kind of where you live.

Freelancers are ALL over the place. It’s rare to get someone who is really great with people who also happens to be just as good with design and development. Which usually results in a much lower conversion rate. At $40/hour, if you could fill up every week of the year and take 3-4 weeks of vacation and made sure you knew 30% of your time would go to administrative stuff, you’d make probably $50 to $65k.

# February 8, 2012 at 6:16 am

Ok thats great for me folks, I just wanted to get an idea of whether people actually pay that and according to you guys they do, so I am happy now.

# February 8, 2012 at 7:14 am

Most of my freelance projects I do in my spare time sit between $1-4k. But this is very rough and I’m converting from GBP to USD so it’s not much to go on. I also don’t really do much freelance (probably a project every 2 months), I’m employed on a salary of roughly $38-40k, which is not bad considering I’ve only been doing this for 18 months as an actual job.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".