Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

Auto-moderation of Forums?

• # August 7, 2008 at 10:35 am

I was wondering if anyone had some suggestionsexperiences with forums… basically a sort of spam filter and a filter against idiots signing up who want to post spam. You know, having explicit links posted to a forum that is designed for kids isn’t too cool. :

# August 7, 2008 at 6:19 pm

I wish this forum was auto-moderated!

Actually, it’s not that bad, since the signup does have a CAPTCHA, which keeps most bots out. But, I have had issues in the past, so it’s just something you have to watch for I guess. (Sorry I don’t have any better answers!)

# August 8, 2008 at 4:02 pm

Not a technological solution but how about enabling other people to moderate your forum such as regular users as a way of "self-policing"?

# August 9, 2008 at 9:42 am

There should be a set up option in the admin about links and words that you can moderate.

I think Vanilla (and maybe phpBB) has the option to censor certain letters in words but allow you to still see the word (if you know what i mean).

from the phpBB general guide http://www.phpbb.com/support/documentation/3.0/adminguide/acp_general.php
    tells you how to check the user IP against the DNS blacklist etc might stop them at the front door.

Not sure as it has been a while since i played admin on forums

# August 9, 2008 at 10:29 am

Thanks for the replies… Yea, I know about the word censor, etc, its not perfect, but I guess it will do since you can make a word a full replace like *!#% instead of F#CK. Because the latter is still pretty obvious.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".