Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

Arguments against flash

• # March 20, 2009 at 1:49 pm

I’m just wondering how you guys handle a situation when clients ask for flash work on a website. What do you tell them? What reasons do you give for avoiding the use of flash on a website? I know that jQuery can take care of a lot of interactivity that flash can do, but what to you tell a client that is dead set on having a flash intro or having crazy flash animations on the page?

Rob
    # March 20, 2009 at 2:17 pm

I normally say "Flash into pages are terrible for SEO, they are also another page away from what your clients are looking for, you might think its a nice idea, but it is another thing that will irritate your clients"

Same goes for flash animations – there is no need, it looks pants, and anything you need doing is probably going to be more compatible with peoples browsers in Javascript.

Summery: "you might get off on these, and think they are good, but they arnt – and your clients wont think so either."

Obviously be a little more tactful, give examples of great business sites from best of web or something… notice they all pretty much don’t use flash… especially intros…

# March 20, 2009 at 5:02 pm

The best bet is to figure out WHAT they want, now HOW they want it. Nobody (hopefully), just "wants Flash" generically. Gimme Flash! I don’t care what it is, I just want it to be Flash! What they really want is something cool. Give them something cool, just don’t use Flash.

# March 20, 2009 at 7:15 pm
    "chriscoyier" wrote:
    Nobody (hopefully), just "wants Flash" generically. Gimme Flash! I don’t care what it is, I just want it to be Flash!

Just about every beginning web developer colleague I had wanted to create JUST flash sites. "Just think of the exposure!"

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".