Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS anythingslider looks terrible in IE8

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    astembridge
    Participant

A site I’m working features anythingslider and displays beautifully in MSIE 9, FF 4, FF 3, Chrome, and Opera. The page renders horribly in MSIE 8 however. Something is causing IE8 to work in compatibility mode, which is also breaking several :hover effects.

The anythingslider object doesn’t appear to be as wide or tall in IE8 as it is in IE9 and other CSS3 compliant browsers. This appears to be causing the back/next arrows to be chopped, and the text in the lower area of the object isn’t visible.

I’ve tried using loose and transitional doctypes, neither affect the problem.

Could someone take a look and see what I might be doing wrong? IE8 wonkiness

astembridge
    Participant

Excellent – the slider looks much better now.

I noticed that IE8 continues to display in compatibility mode. I’ve cleaned up all of the page errors, except for these three:

http://htmlhelp.com/cgi-bin/validate.cgi?url=https%3A%2F%2Fsoutheastgenetics.org%2Findex2011d.php%3Fdemo%3D1&warnings=yes

Is there a workaround for this? ( For others reading, if IE8 renders in compatibility mode the :hover psuedoclass won’t work. )

astembridge
    Participant

Quick update – I fixed the two inline errors by moving the href tags around. The final error (span) persists…

astembridge
    Participant

I noticed a lingering “bug” with IE8. Captions loading from the top appear just fine. The right-loading caption (lower right corner) is chopped off, and the bottom-loading caption doesn’t appear at all.

Help? :-)

astembridge
    Participant
    astembridge
    Participant

I did try changing the width from 130 to 150px, but caption-right still appears chopped in half.

astembridge
    Participant

Some images call for a caption on different sides. Your demo works fine, so I don’t know what I am doing that causes my page to render the right caption incorrectly. Hoped there was an easy answer.

Ideally I would force all IE users to upgrade to MSIE 9, FF or Chrome. ;)

astembridge
    Participant

Virtual rules the pit! Moved my IE8 notice below the body tag and now anythingslider appears perfectly. And the hover psuedoclass is working too.

Thank you both!!!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.