Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Anyone recently mess with Drupal?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    JoshWhite

I may end up needing to work with Drupal in the near future for a project. I worked with it a little quite a while back. But I’m noticing that the number of resources out there in terms of theming and functional guides are pretty scarce.

Does anyone know of any thorough resources? I’m going to check places like Lynda to see what they have there, but I even noticed Nettuts was pretty low on Drupal content.

Alen
    Participant

I’m not big on Drupal, but best resources I’ve seen is at http://drupalize.me

theacefes

I have a friend that works at a Drupal shop. Sad to say, he can’t stand it and everyday is a challenge as it has a lot of oddities that other CMSs don’t have. I could find out more for you if you’re interested.

theacefes

No problem. :)

rpotterjr
    Participant

Drupal is one of the worst CMS Systems I have ever had the displeasure of working with. lol

Paulie_D

It’s finicky and a PITA to get to grips with but for, as mentioned, v.large enterprise level sites…it’s ideal.

Given the choice through I would go with WP.

Alen
    Participant

Nicely put. @mcjohnst

I’ve been working with Drupal full-time at my day job for about 2 years now and the journey has been tough at times. However, I wouldn’t go back to a CMS like WordPress at this point.

Drupal has been called a Content Management ‘Platform’ or ‘Framework’ for a long while now and essentially this tells us that Drupal is used as a CMS very frequently, but it’s more flexible than that. Web apps and the like are all within reach with Drupal.

Drupal 7 was a big step up from Drupal 6 IMO, but with Drupal 8 on the way next year the platform will change quite a bit. I’m hearing that Twig will be the primary templating language.

If you’re looking for a good book check out ‘The Definitive Guide to Drupal 7’.
    http://www.amazon.com/Definitive-Guide-Drupal-Apress/dp/1430231351

Drupal.org has a ton of documentation. I’ve found 90% of everything I’ve needed on their site. http://drupal.org/documentation

Drupal is very powerful and once you understand the ins and outs you’ll be able to do more in less time than you ever could with WordPress. Give it a go man!

contentJones

I have to support several Drupal sites made by a previous developer. I like to call it “hunt for the checkbox” as virtually every time I get stuck there is some hidden checkbox somewhere dictating a privilege or oddball field output.

I’m also surprised by it’s massive databases and heavy file structures.

Go for it. It’s a good skill to have in the back pocket. And you can always do WP sites on the weekend for some relaxation!

contentJones

@JoshWhite

Pretty much. Views are the equivalent of the WordPress Loop. They do have a user interface to determine arguments and a cool little preview on the bottom so you can test the output.

Fred Flaxman
    Participant

I’ve been using Propeople page and blog section for drupal developers. Would recommend as a online drupal resource.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.