Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Any Thoughts???

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    jlg

Here’s a website I designed to catalog my collection of old wooden tennis racquets

http://www.tennisyesteryear.com

It’s very heavy on pictures so a little slower than I’d like, but was hard to avoid that. Any input greatly appreciated.
    Ikthius- You were nice enough to give me some terrific advice the other time I posted- Wonder if you’re still out there- Thnx to all

chazzwick

1)The paragraphs are hard to read in Brush Script. Its best to use a fancy font for headers, and use a sans-serif for long pieces of text (such as arial or verdana)
    2) The navigation moves awkwardly on hover, get rid of the border:1px black
    3) The footer doesnt really make sense to me- maybe put some extra info about you, or the site, or some contact details
    4) I like the old parchment, but maybe try to integrate with the rest of the site. try fading it into the background colour of the site.

jlg

Thanks for the advice, Chazzwick. I had actually been trying to figure something else out for hover but seems to be a little trickier when you use an image rather than font. I appreciate you taking the time. Will continue working on it.

ikthius
    "jlg" wrote:
    Here’s a website I designed to catalog my collection of old wooden tennis racquets

http://www.tennisyesteryear.com

It’s very heavy on pictures so a little slower than I’d like, but was hard to avoid that. Any input greatly appreciated.
    Ikthius- You were nice enough to give me some terrific advice the other time I posted- Wonder if you’re still out there- Thnx to all

still around, but here in the west of scotland, yesterday we had a huge power failure, for a couple of hours, affected a big area.

that knocked out my ISP they only got it back working late today.

anyway.

I think it is ok, I think your style for it is fine, salad days anyone??? but the one thing I would get rid of is your links move and make it terrible, maybe change the colour of the text not the size of the image as it goes over the lighter border.

but change some text to a different font, make it easy for your readers to read, lighten up your backgrounds, research what fonts were widely used in those times, to make it more authetic.

other than that is it fine.

you could pre-load your images to make them load roughly same time as the rest of teh site.

jlg

Thank you much, Ikthius. Did much of what you and Chazz suggested and still tweaking it.

ikthius
    "jlg" wrote:
    Thank you much, Ikthius. Did much of what you and Chazz suggested and still tweaking it.

your main nav images need to be changed on hover maybe change teh colour of the block?

also change the footer, it is not in keeping with the site much, but good you have change the few things, keep up the good work

Okay, obviously the site’s content is the most important part of it, but I would recommend a few changes. 1) Change your overall typography – it makes it feel old and clunky. 2) Add a rollover effect to your menu to let the users know they are interacting with the web page. 3) Straighten out those navigation items, putting them on a slat I’m afraid just doesn’t work.

Well done on getting the design going though, I still think it’s a good site!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.