Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums JavaScript Advantages of using pure JavaScript over JQuery

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    kiddo
    Participant

hi,

i want to ask about the benefit/advantages of using pure javascript over jquery

because i know about javascript and i want to start learn jquery, but if javascript is better than i would keep digging on javascript.

TheDoc
    deminblues
    Participant

Javascript is no longer just a client side language, and because jQuery is so DOM dependent, it is a terrible candidate to move to the server.

code quality – jQuery has a huge community and a low learning curve. This is a perfect storm for lots of poorly written open source plugins.

inefficiency – jQuery is easy to write inefficiently. For instance, using jQuery’s each instead of for loops is unnecessary and could have a performance impact in some cases. Lots of good info about this stuff at JSPerf

bloat – jQuery is a huge library. Much of the time, you’ll use a small subset of it’s features, and grab the whole library. There are some great alternatives that will give you subsets of the features, like zepto.js, and underscore.js – depending on your situation, you can save some bytes by choosing the right library for your needs.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘JavaScript’ is closed to new topics and replies.