Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Absolutely Positioned DIV Inside of Wrapper DIV – Needs to Expand

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    svoltmer
    Participant

I have a site with a wrapper div holding the content of part of the page and within this wrapper I have a few absolutely positioned divs that reveal on :hover. The problem is since they are absolutely positioned, they do not make the containing content wrapper expand to include their content. Here is my page:
    http://www.rose-hulman.edu/testing/team.html

Hover over the sections under “leadership” to see my issue – particularly the last persons section.Could someone take a look please? Thanks!

Paulie_D

Have you set position absolute on the wrapper?

Senff
    Participant

Why use position absolute in the first place?

Instead of doing that (and working with the positioning on hover), maybe it’s just easier to work with display:block and display:none instead?

Paulie_D

Ah…I see that you have.

Rather than positioning, could you not set the height to 0 and then change it to auto on hover?

Would that work?

EDIT: or use @Senff ‘s idea

svoltmer
    Participant

Thanks guys! I ended up transitioning max-height from 0 to 500, since height was not working with auto.

svoltmer
    Participant

Strange thing though, the transition only eases-in, even though it’s set as ease-in-out. Any ideas?

Paulie_D

I’m guessing that it might be the max-height. Because the height isn’t actually set it can’t transition it appropriately.

Perhaps a spot of jQuery?

svoltmer
    Participant

Yup, I am thinking accordion.

Paulie_D

>I am thinking accordion.

Ooo…..that would be a nice interpretation.

svoltmer
    Participant

Paulie_D,
    I have also been messing around with transform: scaleY() as you can see:
    http://www.rose-hulman.edu/testing/team.html , but the containing div stays open all the time – assuming it has to do with the max-height setting on the scaled content. Oh well, I guess I will just go with the jquery solution unless you can see something I am missing with my transform.

Paulie_D

Sometimes a simple bit of jquery is all you need.

I’d go with that.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.