Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Above and Beyond the Call…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    stephen

Hey, folks.

I fell that you should all know that I had (for about a week) an issue with a site that I inherited, and was trying to rebuild the circa 2000 code underneath, while sprucing up the site slightly. The client wanted it to look largely the same.

When I was redoing the site I wanted to use a CSS sprite instead of the previous JavaScript rollover button on the index page. One line of an <a href> reference to a sprite image div in the CSS replaced a whole page of ancient JavaScript code. Much friendlier.

I used Chris’ sprites article, http://css-tricks.com/css-sprites-what-they-are-why-theyre-cool-and-how-to-use-them/ and the screencast http://css-tricks.com/new-screencast-three-state-menu/ for guidance and they were great. Just what I needed. Still, I could not get the image to load as a sprite – I was constantly seeing the entire image instead of half of it at a time like it’s supposed to be.

I emailed Chris, who responded right away, and after a couple of back-and-forths via email, he zeroed right in on the problem. I had duplicated the image reference in the HTML on the page and in the CSS, and also needed to adjust the stylesheet to reflect the different look of the landing page requirements.

Regardless of whether it took him 10 seconds or 10 minutes to find it, the point of it all is that he took the time to do it.

So, this is just a way of letting you all know (if you didn’t already) that Chris Coyier, as busy as he is, still takes the time to read – really read – his emails, and is more than generous and giving of himself and his time.

Big kudos to Chris from a relatively new coder here (who just wants to get it right) whom he doesn’t even know, and for whom he saved more frustrating hours of searching to find a solution that, as usual, was hiding in the details.

Guys like Chris Coyier are why I love the community on the net.

I love this site, and have learned a lot from it. Hope you have, too.

stephen

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.