Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other About Typography

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    rodolpheb
    Participant

Hi, I’m looking for websites or blogs containing information about Typography (for the web), reliable and current.

Thanks for your help.

chrisburton
    Participant

Specifically about what?

Chris Coyier
    Keymaster
    rodolpheb
    Participant

> Specifically about what?

I’d like to gather information in order to write articles to help developers and beginners to focus on the priority issues. Everything concerning typography (nothing specific yet) would interest me.

Thanks @chriscoyier (I really like what you do :) )

chrisburton
    Participant

And what are the priority issues? Sorry but this questions is a bit vague.

I would always recommend learning from Matthew Butterick and Stephen Coles.

rodolpheb
    Participant

I know it’s vague… I ‘m focusing on web integration : best practices, new developments, responsive and adaptive…

chrisburton
    Participant

So you want to learn about integrating fonts on the web, best practices for using webfonts, new developments for web type and how you can apply them to be responsive? Did I understand correctly?

rodolpheb
    Participant

Exactly, and BTW thanks for making my request clearer :)

chrisburton
    Participant

Okay, great. Glad I could clarify all this. I’ll be posting much later on after I get some sleep and gather some resources for you. Is that okay?

rodolpheb
    Participant

Thanks for your kindness and your always so valuable help.

chrisburton
    Participant

Using webfonts:

Chris mentioned Jessica Hische’s article “Talking Type” which is a fantastic read but I also recommend reading this section about Webtype’s Reading Edge Series.

+ A good question to ask yourself is, are they truly optimized for the web?

A: Research manual hinting (aka delta hinting) vs auto hinting. This is why majority of Google’s webfonts lack quality. I wish there were more articles on this from Webtype because they seem to do the best job.

Typekit: A Closer Look at TrueType Hinting and PostScript.

Integrating webfonts:

+ Should I use Javascript or CSS?

A: Typekit opts for JS and states why CSS alone is bad, although I’ve never had trouble with some of their arguments and prefer a CSS solution. Article.

+ Does it matter how many I use?

A: Absolutely because this puts a damper on page loading and requests.

+ Should I test them?

A: Without a doubt. I notice most people choose webfonts based off of the distributors image previews. Those image previews are meant to look beautiful. So just like you would test a website on multiple platforms and browsers, you should do the same for webfonts. It will ultimately save you time.

Some distributors offer a free 30-day period to allow for testing. If you need more time or want to speed up your test phases, I would look into purchasing a plan from Typecast.

New developments:

+ Opentype features in CSS3 `font-feature-settings` (kerning, stylesets, common ligatures, discretionary ligatures, true small caps, old-style numerals, lining numerals, swashes and many more). There are numerous articles on this.

Responsive Typography:

Note: My knowledge in this area isn’t that great as I’m still learning more about them myself.

+ Why ems?

rodolpheb
    Participant

Once again thank you Chris for the time you took to answer. I’ll study this very thoroughly. You’ve definitely replied beyond all my expectations!

I think developers often don’t give enough value to typography although it is an essential and very interesting aspect of websites’ creations.

Thanks for everything!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.