Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other 3 months of Browserstack free!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    nixnerd
    Participant

Just go here:

http://www.modern.ie/en-us/virtualization-tools

I went to this link in an attempt to download a copy of IE10. Instead, I found out that Microsoft has purchased a bunch of coupons to Browserstack.com and is giving them away… presumeably because IE is a pain.

Enjoy!

thembisue
    Participant

Thank you for sharing this..
    This still worked for me today!!!

Very happy as I can definitely use it for a client project. Just in time!

nixnerd
    Participant

You can also use Browserstack in 30 min increments by creating new email addresses. Not that it’s totally ethical…

dyr
    Participant

Thanks for sharing! This is great.

hophuong
    Participant

Hi!
    I am a new member.
    I added “browserstack Test IE” on chrome is Ok. But I open and choose any version of IE then it requests me to type “username and password” but when i create a new account, that has 30 minutes, if i don’t create how to login?
    Hope your replying very much!
    Thanks!

Robby
    Participant

I think the 3-month coupon has dried out, I don’t see anything about it.

I tried there 30 minute trial available on the main website and there customer service rep has been emailing me asking why I haven’t signed up.

__
    Participant

but when i create a new account, that has 30 minutes, if i don’t create how to login?

Are you asking how to log in if you choose not to create an account? That doesn’t make much sense.

If you guys go back up to NIX’s OP, you’ll see a link for IE virtual machines. If you’re serious, it’s a better solution than browserstack (as far as IE is concerned) anyway.

nixnerd
    Participant

I originally posted this because I actually couldn’t get the IE vm to work. But… if you can, you should use it. Browserstack is a pain in the ass to do comprehensive testing with. If you plan on using Browswerstack… get a case of beer and make it fun because you’re going to be there a while.

Robby
    Participant

Why’s it a pain in the ass? When I tried it it worked like a charm.

I don’t even use the VM’s Microsoft provides. I just have a VM of windows XP. I usually only test IE8+, if I need to, I can uninstall/re-install a different version of IE (6 or 7) in a matter of minutes.

Maybe I’ll try the VM soon, I’d be interested to see how it works.

nixnerd
    Participant

I just have a VM of windows XP.

So, you’re not talking about Browserstack then.

Robby
    Participant

No i am in that first sentence, sorry should have clarified. What was the issue when you tried it?

__
    Participant

I have two issues with browserstack: first, latency. It’s not always bad, but it’s always noticeable. It’s a pain in the butt to do something and then have to wait 100ms to see if it did what you expect —or worse, a whole second, just to be sure that it didn’t work.

Second, and this isn’t really a big deal, I signed up when it first came out, and the deal was you’d get 30 minutes/ month free as long as you kept the account. Well, that didn’t happen. Maybe it’s a fluke… I honestly am not concerned enough about it, nor did I end up using the service enough, to press the issue. But it nags at me.

Don’t get me wrong, though. All in all, it’s a great thing, and I still recommend it to people. But when it comes to IE testing, the VMs rock.

nixnerd
    Participant

@traq pretty much summed up the way I feel about it. It’s a great tool… if its your only option. I tend to do a lot of really custom CSS and that requires granular changes when something is broken or not quite right. The changes are so small that the wait time kills my productivity. I’d say if you can’t get a VM OR you use Bootstrap or something similar… it’s fine.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.