Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other "…use GMail and never worry about spam again"

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

This is a question for Chris, but I figured I would post it here for others who may be curious as well.

In talking about Enkoder in your article here you mention "use GMail and never worry about spam again." I don’t use Gmail, so I don’t know what you could mean. If you used a mailto email link on a page using a Gmail address, wouldn’t you end up getting hit by spammers?

Flavia

I’ve been a GMail user since the beginning or so, so I’ll pitch in my 2eurocents :)

In theory yes, you do, even with Gmail.
    I get about a hundred spam messages a day, since I have my GMail address on my blog.
    But here’s the trick: the spam goes all, and I mean exactly ALL, straight into the Spam folder, which is emptied every 30 days, and you don’t even get a glimpse of it unless you want to. I check every now and then to see if good mail has gone there by mistake but it happened only once.
    I don’t know exactly what kind of algorithm they use to achieve this, but in some years of GMail usage, only a dozen spam messages have gotten trough.
    So it’s probably a good choice for an email address you want to make "public".

Very cool, thanks for your responses! I will have to dust off my Gmail account and put it to use. :) I guess it makes sense that the company with the best search algorithm would have the best spam filter also.

@box
    Thanks for that tip. That sounds nifty, I’ll have to look into that.

Nodster

@box,

where is the free google aps, don’t see it on their site. Do you have link as it sounds an interesting solution to a nightmare i’m currently having.

Ta

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.