Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

.htaccess issue

• # September 1, 2010 at 10:04 pm

I’m upgrading to WordPress 3.1 and checking out the Multisite option. I altered the wp-config file but I couldn’t find the .htaccess file. I checked my server’s (yahoo) help menu and they said they don’t allow .htaccess files for some reason, instead re-directing me to their own custom error and password pages or some-such. Is this going to cause me a problem or should I use a new hosting service? Also, how hard will it be to move these sites to a client’s domain when they’re ready?

# September 2, 2010 at 7:12 pm

As far as .htaccess, I think that will cause some problems — especially for multisite.

It should be fairly easy to move sites to client’s domains. Do you want to continue hosting on your own server, or are you moving it to a client’s server as well?

# September 3, 2010 at 1:47 am

Well, I tried to fix the .htaccess problem myself, broke the site, had to upload it again, but I don’t know how to get the multisite thing going and am afraid to try. Also my host automatically puts /blog/ in the url between my domain and page title, which really is annoying. I think it’s time to find better web host.

And yes, I did mean I’m moving to their server as well. I haven’t looked into it yet, will wait until I change hosts. I’m not confident my current host wouldn’t screw that up, too.

# September 5, 2010 at 12:21 pm

If you’re moving content to another server it should be as easy as exporting the content from wordpress and importing it on a new site and then obviously just moving the theme over. If you uploaded anything via the media uploader, it could be a pain though. It’s supposed to copy everything over, but I’ve never had good luck with it. If you’re only moving text content stored in the DB though, that will work just fine.

# September 5, 2010 at 5:14 pm

thank, yeah, at this point I’m only copying a light weight WP site over, so I should switch now to a host I can live with.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".