Published by Chris Coyier
It was time for another design refresh! The best part about this one, for me, was that all the work I did last time made this one very easy to do.
As usual, it's not extremely drastic. Evolutionary, not revolutionary. The old one wasn't bad, I just felt playing and improving where I could.
Feel free to critique. Good or bad, but try to keep it constructive.
Goals I tried to achieve:
- The main navigation feels more connected to the site again. This was important to me as it was something that got a bit lost in the last design.
- I wanted to emphasize the community aspect of the site. The focused navigation helps with that and the new tag line brings it home.
- I liked the typography before, so it's exactly the same.
- The crazy outer space stuff was fun for a little while but it wasn't very "me", so it's gone in favor of a cleaner style.
- I still got to use texture, which I love.
- I never liked having the standard footer in the forums area. I like my "about the author" section, but I'm not the "author" of the forums, you guys are. It didn't fit, so now the forums has a trimmed down simplified footer.
- The whole layout is centered again. It never bothered me being left, but that was the #1 complaint last time.
Problems / Critiques so far
- What the heck is that thing above the search bar?
It is my (perhaps half-baked) attempt at linking the words "Web Design Community" with the search bar. I wanted to make clear that this entire site is searchable with that box, which is extremely useful I think. I'll likely play with different ideas up there.
- What's with all the white space in the sidebar?
- Clean up the styling of the Forums, make it nicer
- Bring Twitter back into it
- Bring some friend links back into it
- Bring Script & Style links back into it
- New button style
* I have ideas for all of this stuff and it shall be coming soon!